Thursday, June 4, 2009

iPhone case version 3.0

Before I go into talking about the iPhone case, let me tell you first about how I got the iPhone.

Well, my husband brought it home one day recently as a surprise for me. No, he did not make an outright purchase (we certainly do not buy expensive stuff like this!), but the phone came with those "0 upfront, 24-month mobile phone plans". Why he made the seemingly impulsive decision to change my perfectly good old phone and switch to a different post-paid plan, he only knows. I wouldn't say the generous gesture came as a surprise...rather, it was a shock. Honestly, I hardly get any presents even when there is an occasion...

The iPhone, as cool as it is, is not really something I need. I am rarely on the phone, I am not a text messaging addict, I only listen to music while I'm ironing clothes, and I have internet access from a desktop computer that's on nearly all day. I don't want to sound unappreciative, but yeah, the iPhone seems too much of a luxury for me.

But I must say, it is one magnificent phone...I am lucky to be the owner of one...and my kids are having fun with it as well.

And so, such magnificence only deserves the coolest of carry cases.

iPhone case version 3.0

That is what my son calls my carry case. I've spent countless hours figuring out how I was going to go about sewing up one that will meet all my requirements. It needed to be padded to give the phone extra protection. It had to have a secure and big enough storage space for the headset and stylus. I should be able to easily access the headset jack. And I should be able to carry it around hands-free. Plus, it needs to be pretty!

Three tries later, this is what I ended up with. (I showed the first version on my previous post.)

Front view (button loop closure, swivel hook attachment, detachable neck strap)

Padded interior ensures a safe and perfect fit

Pleated back pocket

Velcro pocket closure

Phone accessories stored securely

Open top with headset plugged in

It was quite difficult to sew up considering the small size and the thickness, but the case does meet my criteria. I am really happy with it. What do you think?

UPDATE (6/6/09): PDF Sewing Instructions for this iPhone Carry Case now available in my Etsy shop!


9 comments:

  1. It's perfect! Any chance you're going to share this pattern? I love that pocket, but haven't a clue how to do such a thing. I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous and you are one clever chic :)
    I also am impressed with your Tutorials box....can you tell me how to get one of those please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked it out by clicking on the down arrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Corinne - that creative brain of yours strikes again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it turned out really cool. The case looks professional, and I love the fabric. It is so pretty. I like this case a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For someone in a sewing slump that looks perfect to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this pattern and its on my list of patterns to buy. I also appreciate the fact that you allow home sewers to sell the items made using your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely looking iPhone case. You are a lucky one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi, im a 16 year old girl living in norway, and i just love this pattern. would you please love to share the pattern for free? i can afford it, and would love to get it..love and peace. love cheryl.
    email: cheryl_helena@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete