Sunday, August 21, 2011

Addicted...

...to reruns of Grey's Anatomy, that is. Funny cause this show's been going on for seven seasons (I think) but I only recently 'discovered' the reruns on cable TV. And now I can't seem to stop watching it. I'm still on Season 2, imagine that. It's a good thing it's shown Mondays thru Fridays so I don't have to suffer and wait long for the next episode. Grey's Anatomy reminds me so much of ER (George Clooney days), which I absolutely loved. I guess medical dramas are my kind of thing. I wonder if I could have been a doctor...

Recently, I got really hooked on watching Cake Boss too. We used to not have the Food Channel with our cable TV package so when we finally got it, I've been following every (old) episode, day and night, 7 days a week. I'm not much of a fondant lover but I've definitely been learning a lot of cake decorating tricks from the show.

These past few days, I've noticed I've been neglecting Cake Boss though. Maybe I'm getting tired of Buddy Valastro. I told my daughter I'd gladly exchange Buddy for Patrick Dempsey anytime....lol.


You know what? I just realized how I actually have time now to sit down and watch TV. And I really enjoy it. This was next to impossible before, when my four kids were still very young. Now, though still busy looking after them, I have a little bit more time for myself...to do the things I want to do. With no guilt feelings attached. That's not a bad thing, is it?

Before I end, here are two cakes I finished late last night. Both are red velvet (again).

Made this for a Collingwood Magpies supporter, hence, the black and white colours.

Close-up of the gumpaste bow.

For a young girl's birthday.


And lastly, what I did with an extra layer of red velvet cake and leftover frosting...

This one's just for us!
Have a good weekend and a great week ahead!

5 comments:

  1. hello. i'm also a filipino living here in melbourne? how can i order ube macapuno cake from you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mimi,

    Please email me directly at pike(dot)corinne(at)yahoo(dot)com so I can send you my cake and price list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cakes are unbelievable!!!!WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corinne!

    How do you make gumpaste? Does it taste like fondant as I really don't like it's taste. I want to try and make gumpaste and see how it is. I know it dries out but does it taste like hard sugary candy?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care much for fondant either but I use it strictly for decoration purposes only. Rather than taste, texture is more important to me. I want my figures very smooth and not grainy or cracking. I found that Satin Ice is a very good brand.

      I don't buy ready made gumpaste but mix fondant with tylose powder to make my own. When it dries out, it does taste like sugary candy BUT never do I recommend anyone to eat them even if they are edible.

      Delete