Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Mocha crumble cake

After pondering about it a lot, I have come to the decision that I am going to take my planned second book to a new direction. Because let's face it, with the little spare time I have to work on it, I don't think I will ever get to finish it. Really, I don't have that kind of faith in myself! Plus, it is kind of unfair to keep you excited and waiting for nothing, right?  Well, not really nothing.  I mean, I will still come up with that second book but it will be different from what I had initially intended it to be.

So today, I will be starting what hopefully will be a regular sharing of cake recipes again.  I don't want to promise anything but I will surely try and do my best! As I mentioned in my previous post, I have already done several cakes over the last few months.  I will not be sharing all of them here...just some chosen ones. Please don't ask me to email the recipes to you personally.  If it's for sharing, you will definitely see it here so please spare me some patience 😅

Here is the mocha crumble cake I made way back in November.  As you already know, the inspiration for this cake is Red Ribbon Bakeshop's cake of the same name.


Image credit: Red Ribbon Bakeshop website

Most elements of this cake were quite easy to figure out.  What I didn't exactly know was what the chocolate crumble was! I couldn't find helpful information on what was on that chocolate cluster. I don't think it's nuts although I reckon it should be something that will give it some crunch. Rice krispies perhaps? Let me know if you know!

Anyway, here goes my take on this cake.  Enjoy!

MOCHA CRUMBLE CAKE (makes a two-layered 8" round)

1.  For the cake: Bake one batch of mocha chiffon using the recipe here.

2.  For the coffee buttercream:  Make one batch of Swiss meringue buttercream.  To that, add in 1 tablespoon of instant coffee powder dissolved in a little hot water.  You can also replace the vanilla extract with an equal amount of coffee extract or maybe half coffee and half chocolate extract, if you have them.

3. For the dark chocolate ganache:

120 g dark chocolate, chopped or chips
120 g whipping or thickened cream

Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl.

In a small saucepan, bring whipping cream to a boil.  Pour over the chocolate chips and let stand for 1-2 minutes without stirring.

Stir with a whisk until smooth and shiny.  Leave this to cool and thicken enough for spreading and piping.

4. For the chocolate crumble:

NOTE: I chose to use compound chocolate because I don't want to and have never tempered real chocolate before!

225 g dark chocolate melts (compound chocolate)
70 g rice krispies/bubbles

Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.  When completely melted, take off from the heat then fold in the rice krispies.  Spread chocolate mixture thinly on a silpat or baking paper-lined baking tray.




Leave until cool and set. If desired, cut out some circles for garnishing using a cookie cutter.  Crush some of it for the filling.


Alternatively, you can simply drop the chocolate mixture by the spoonful in your lined baking tray then flatten slightly.  That would work too!  The only reason I chose to cut mine in circles was because I have seen  photos of really ugly and messy chocolate crumble on the internet!  I wanted mine to be neatly sitting on top of the cake 😀

5. To assemble and decorate the cake:

Cut your mocha chiffon cake in half horizontally.  Place the top layer, cut side up on your cake board. Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with coffee SMBC then pipe a dam around the cake edge. Spread a layer of ganache on the space inside the dam.   Scatter the crushed up chocolate crumble on top of the ganache then spread coffee buttercream over it to make a level filling.  Top with the other cake half, cut side down. Crumb coat cake with a thin layer of buttercream.  Let chill in the fridge for a few minutes. Cover the whole cake smoothly with more buttercream.

Using a small spatula, dab some ganache around the cake side and top.  Run a spatula or a cake scaper so the ganache spreads.  If desired, use a cake comb to create a pattern.

Using the same piping bag with the large star tip, pipe alternate rosettes of coffee buttercream and ganache.  Garnish the top with the chocolate crumble rounds.




Ok that's it!  Hope that satisfies your cake cravings for now.  Till next!


11 comments:

  1. Hi Corinne, I'm happy to know that you'll be posting more often now. Anyway, the first thing that came into my mind when I read crumble is honeycomb w/ chocolate. I've never seen that cake nor tasted it, but it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corinne,

    This cake was offered by Red Ribbon in the U.S. for a short time a while ago and then was discontinued. The chocolate crumble was made from corn flakes cereal. Weird, I know. The rice krispies sound like a better idea. If the baker was lazy, they could probably just crumble up a Nestle Crunch bar.

    Great job! I look forward to trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I was quite happy with the rice krispies. They remained crunchy :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ms Corinne. I hope you could share your recipe for Red Ribbon's Rocky Road cake. Been trying to figure out how to do it. No luck :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, that is one of the recipes I will not be sharing here. Do not overthink it! It is not as hard to figure out as you think!

      Delete
  4. Hi Corrine. I'm happy to see that you are sharing more cake recipes. I do so love yours. I was never really into baking until I found ur site and tried some of ur cakes. They are the best and my family thinks so too. So, I hope you keep baking and sharing. I will patiently await your 2nd book.

    Thank you,
    May

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your recipes hope you can try to remake the famous Big Al's Cookie jar decadent cake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Corinne,

    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

    I made this cake for our Mother's Day celebration and it a big hit! The crumble adds great texture to what would have been a regular mocha cake. That extra layer of chocolate ganache in the layers is a lovely surprise. The chocolate crumble makes plenty; more than you need for the actual cake. It's delicious to eat by itself.

    To get a more pronounced coffee flavor in the chiffon and SMBC, I substituted some instant espresso powder for the instant coffee powder. For the mocha chiffon, I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder (Nescafe Classico brand) and 1/2 teaspoon of instant espresso powder. For the mocha SMBC, I used 2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder and 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder. I've tried experimenting using all instant espresso powder and it's waaaay to strong--bitter and acidic finished product. Another thing I noticed in experimenting with mocha SMBC is that the coffee flavoring has to be added to the meringue before the adding the butter. Once, I thought that my mocha SMBC needed more coffee flavor, so I add more dissolved instant coffee to it after I had beaten in the butter. BIG MISTAKE! There was an acidic coffee aftertaste in the finished mocha SMBC.

    Thanks again for sharing! The moms in my family also thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the greeting! And glad you liked the cake :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Corinne, just letting u know that we are thankful gor all your recipes, more power

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your work! I hope you will be inspired soon. I have this max's caramel bar craving, please add to your list, cheers!

    ReplyDelete